Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
Sodium hydroxide/Caustic Soda price index
This post is a summary of the sodium hydroxide (Caustic Soda/Lye) price developments.The price developments are expressed in US$/kg prices converted at current FX rates, which are the FX rates applicable at the time the price was valid. Caustic Soda price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for sodium hydroxide (Caustic soda) prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of sodium hydroxide/caustic soda prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of sodium hydroxide
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of sodium hydroxide prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the sodium hydroxide market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on Caustic Soda
Here is some further information
What is caustic soda
Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a highly alkaline chemical compound with the chemical formula NaOH. It is a white, crystalline solid that is highly soluble in water and is commonly used in a variety of industrial and commercial applications.
How is caustic soda produced
Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is typically produced through the electrolysis of a sodium chloride solution, which is also known as brine. This process is known as the chloralkali process.
The chloralkali process involves the electrolysis of brine in a cell that is divided into two chambers by a porous diaphragm. The brine is fed into one chamber, and electricity is passed through the cell, causing the sodium ions in the brine to be attracted to the cathode, while the chloride ions are attracted to the anode. At the cathode, the sodium ions are reduced to form sodium metal, while at the anode, the chloride ions are oxidized to form chlorine gas.
The sodium metal and chlorine gas produced in this process are then reacted with water to produce caustic soda and hydrochloric acid. The caustic soda is typically produced in the form of a 50% solution, which is known as “caustic soda lye.”
It is worth noting that the chloralkali process is energy-intensive and can produce hazardous byproducts, such as chlorine gas and sodium metal, which must be handled with caution. As a result, alternative methods for the production of caustic soda, such as the solvay process, have been developed.
What is caustic soda used for
Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a strong alkaline compound that is used in a wide range of applications, including:
Caustic soda is used as a raw material in the production of a variety of chemicals, including detergents, soaps, and textiles. It is also used in the production of paper, pulp, and aluminum.
Oil and gas
Caustic soda is used in the oil and gas industry to treat and refine petroleum products, such as gasoline and diesel. It is also used to improve the recovery of crude oil from reservoirs.
Caustic soda is used to adjust the pH of water and remove impurities, such as heavy metals and organic matter. It is commonly used in municipal water treatment plants to purify drinking water.
Caustic soda is used in the food industry to soften and peel fruits and vegetables, and to neutralize acids in some foods, such as olives.
Caustic soda is also used in the production of personal care products, such as shampoos and toothpaste, and in the medical industry to sterilize equipment. It is also used as a drain cleaner.
It is important to handle caustic soda with care, as it is a strong irritant and can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin or mucous membranes. It should be used in a well-ventilated area and protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when handling it.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
According to https://oec.world/ : In 2020, the top exporters of Sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) in aqueous solution were United States ($940M), Germany ($469M), Netherlands ($237M), Japan ($236M), and Belgium ($215M).
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.