Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
Benzoic Acid price index
This post is a summary of the Benzoic acid price developments. The price developments of Benzoic acid are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Benzoic acid price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for Benzoic acid prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of Benzoic acid prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of Benzoic acid
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of Benzoic acid prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the Benzoic acid market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Benzoic Acid price index
What is Benzoic acid
Benzoic acid is an organic compound that is a white, crystalline solid with the chemical formula C6H5CO2H. It is a weak acid that is commonly used as a food preservative and has a variety of other uses. Benzoic acid occurs naturally in some plants and is also produced synthetically. It is soluble in water and can be easily dissolved in many organic solvents. Benzoic acid is used in the production of a variety of products, including plastics, resins, dyes, and perfumes. It is also used in the manufacture of certain pharmaceuticals and as a preservative in some cosmetics and personal care products.
How is Benzoic acid produced
There are several ways to produce benzoic acid, including the following:
Synthetic production from toluene
Benzoic acid can be produced from toluene, a petroleum-derived aromatic hydrocarbon, through a process known as catalytic oxidation. In this process, toluene is mixed with oxygen and a catalyst, such as manganese dioxide or cobalt, and heated to a high temperature. This reaction produces benzoic acid and water as byproducts.
Natural production from plant sources
Benzoic acid can also be obtained naturally from certain plant sources, such as gum benzoin, which is obtained from the resin of certain trees in the Styrax genus. Benzoin can be heated to produce benzoic acid.
Hydrolysis of benzoyl chloride
Benzoic acid can be produced by the hydrolysis of benzoyl chloride, a colorless liquid with the chemical formula C6H5COCl. In this process, benzoyl chloride is mixed with water and an alkali, such as sodium hydroxide, to produce benzoic acid and hydrochloric acid as byproducts.
From benzyl alcohol
Benzoic acid can also be produced from benzyl alcohol, an aromatic alcohol with the chemical formula C6H5CH2OH, through a process called benzyl alcohol oxidization. In this process, benzyl alcohol is mixed with oxygen and a catalyst, such as silver oxide or manganese dioxide, and heated to produce benzoic acid and water as byproducts.
What is Benzoic acid used for
Benzoic acid is used in a variety of applications, including the following:
Benzoic acid is widely used as a food preservative. It is effective at inhibiting the growth of mold, yeast, and bacteria, which can spoil food. Benzoic acid is approved for use as a food preservative in many countries.
Benzoic acid is used as an ingredient in some pharmaceutical products, including creams, ointments, and lotions. It is also used as a preservative in some medications.
Cosmetics and personal care products
Benzoic acid is used as a preservative in some cosmetics and personal care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and lotions.
Benzoic acid is used in the production of a variety of industrial products, including plastics, resins, dyes, and perfumes. It is also used as a starting material for the synthesis of other chemicals.
Benzoic acid is used as a reagent in chemical reactions in the laboratory. It is also used as a standard in some analytical techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
Benzoic acid market information
It is difficult to estimate the size of the global benzoic acid market, as data on the market size for specific chemicals is not widely available. However, benzoic acid is a widely used chemical with a variety of applications, and it is likely that the market for this compound is quite large.
According to a report published in 2020 by MarketsandMarkets, the global market for food preservatives, which includes benzoic acid, is expected to reach $6.96 billion by 2025, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 5.3% during the forecast period. Benzoic acid is also used in a variety of other applications, including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and industrial products, which would further contribute to the size of the global market for this compound.
According to https://oec.world/ : Benzoic acid, its salts & esters are the world’s 2610th most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.