Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
Dimethylformamide (DMF) price index
This post is a summary of the Dimethylformamide (DMF) price developments. The price developments of Dimethylformamide (DMF) are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Dimethylformamide (DMF) price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for Dimethylformamide (DMF) prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of Dimethylformamide (DMF) prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of Dimethylformamide (DMF)
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of Dimethylformamide (DMF) prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the Dimethylformamide (DMF) market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Dimethylformamide (DMF) price index
What is dimethylformamide
Dimethylformamide (DMF) is a clear, colorless liquid with a strong, characteristic odor. It is a widely used solvent in the chemical industry, particularly for the production of plastics, resins, and fibers. DMF is also used as a solvent in the pharmaceutical industry and in the synthesis of organic compounds. It is a highly polar solvent, meaning that it has a high affinity for polar molecules and is able to dissolve a wide range of compounds. However, DMF can be harmful if ingested or inhaled, and it is classified as a hazardous chemical. It should be handled with caution and used in well-ventilated areas.
How is dimethylformamide produced
Dimethylformamide (DMF) is produced through a chemical reaction between dimethyl sulfate and formamide. The reaction typically takes place in the presence of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. The reaction can be represented by the following equation:
dimethyl sulfate + formamide + base -> dimethylformamide + salt
The resulting dimethylformamide is then purified by distillation to remove any impurities or byproducts.
Alternatively, DMF can also be produced by the reaction of formic acid and dimethylamine in the presence of a catalyst, such as sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid. This reaction can be represented by the following equation:
formic acid + dimethylamine + catalyst -> dimethylformamide + water
The resulting DMF is then purified by distillation or other methods to remove impurities.
What is dimethylformamide used for
Dimethylformamide (DMF) is a widely used solvent in the chemical industry, particularly for the production of plastics, resins, and fibers. It is also used as a solvent in the pharmaceutical industry and in the synthesis of organic compounds.
In the production of plastics, DMF is used as a solvent for polyacrylonitrile (PAN), a polymer that is used to make a variety of products including fibers, films, and coatings. DMF is also used as a solvent for the production of resins, such as urea-formaldehyde and melamine-formaldehyde resins, which are used in the production of adhesives, coatings, and molding compounds.
In the pharmaceutical industry, DMF is used as a solvent for the synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates. It is also used as a solvent for the production of tablets and capsules.
In addition to its use as a solvent, DMF is also used as a reagent in the synthesis of a variety of organic compounds, including dyes, pigments, and pharmaceuticals.
It is important to note that DMF can be harmful if ingested or inhaled, and it should be handled with caution and used in well-ventilated areas.
What types of dimethylformamide are there
There are two main types of dimethylformamide (DMF): industrial grade DMF and pharmaceutical grade DMF.
Industrial grade DMF is a lower purity form of DMF that is primarily used as a solvent in the production of plastics, resins, and fibers. It may contain impurities and byproducts from the manufacturing process, and it is not suitable for use in the pharmaceutical industry.
Pharmaceutical grade DMF, on the other hand, is a higher purity form of DMF that meets the stringent quality standards required for use in the pharmaceutical industry. It is used as a solvent for the synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates, and it is also used as a solvent for the production of tablets and capsules.
In addition to these two main types, there are also other grades of DMF available, such as technical grade DMF, which is intermediate in purity between industrial grade and pharmaceutical grade DMF. The specific purity and quality standards of these different grades of DMF can vary depending on the manufacturer and the intended use of the product.
How big is the dimethylformamide market
It is difficult to provide an accurate estimate of the size of the dimethylformamide (DMF) market, as it is a widely used chemical in a variety of industries, and data on its production and consumption is not readily available.
DMF is used as a solvent in the production of plastics, resins, and fibers, and it is also used as a solvent in the pharmaceutical industry and in the synthesis of organic compounds. As such, the demand for DMF is likely influenced by the demand for these products and by the economic conditions in the industries that use it.
According to some estimates, global demand for DMF was around 1.2 million metric tons in 2020, with the Asia-Pacific region being the largest market for DMF, followed by Europe and North America. However, these estimates may vary significantly depending on the source and the methodology used to arrive at them.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Methylamine, di- or trimethylamine, salts are the world’s 3426th most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.