Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
Ethylene Glycol price index
This post is a summary of the global ethylene glycol price developments. The price developments of global ethylene glycol are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Ethylene glycol price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for global ethylene glycol prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of global ethylene glycol prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of ethylene glycol
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of global ethylene glycol prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the ethylene glycol market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Ethylene Glycol price chart
What is Ethylene glycol
Ethylene glycol is a clear, colorless, and virtually odorless liquid that is widely used in a variety of industrial applications, including as an antifreeze and coolant in automobiles and airplanes. It is also used as a solvent in the production of plastics and other products. Ethylene glycol is toxic if ingested and can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing if inhaled. Prolonged skin contact can also cause irritation. It is important to handle ethylene glycol with caution and to use it in well-ventilated areas to avoid inhaling vapors.
How is Ethylene glycol produced
Ethylene glycol is produced by the hydration of ethylene oxide, which is obtained from the partial oxidation of ethylene. The process begins by reacting ethylene with oxygen and steam to produce ethylene oxide, which is then reacted with water to produce ethylene glycol.
The reaction of ethylene oxide with water is typically carried out in the presence of an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid, to increase the rate of the reaction. The resulting mixture contains a mixture of ethylene glycol and water, which is then purified to produce a pure product.
There are several different methods that can be used to purify ethylene glycol, including distillation, fractional crystallization, and reverse osmosis. The specific purification method used will depend on the desired purity of the final product and the intended use of the ethylene glycol.
What is Ethylene glycol used for
Ethylene glycol is a versatile chemical that has a number of industrial uses, including as an antifreeze and coolant in automobiles and airplanes. It is also used as a solvent in the production of plastics and other products, such as resins, fibers, and films.
In the automotive industry, ethylene glycol is used as a coolant in internal combustion engines to help regulate the temperature of the engine. It is also used as an antifreeze to prevent the cooling system from freezing in cold weather.
Ethylene glycol is also used in the aerospace industry as a deicing agent for aircraft. It is sprayed on the wings and other exposed surfaces of the aircraft to prevent ice from forming and to remove any ice that has already formed.
In addition to these uses, ethylene glycol is also used as a raw material in the production of other chemicals, such as polyester resins, explosives, and hydraulic fluids. It is also used as a humectant in the tobacco industry and as a moisture-absorbing agent in products such as air fresheners and dehumidifiers.
What types of Ethylene glycol are there
There are several different types of ethylene glycol, including:
Monoethylene glycol (MEG)
This is the most common type of ethylene glycol and is used in a wide range of applications, including as an antifreeze, coolant, and solvent.
Diethylene glycol (DEG)
This type of ethylene glycol is used as a solvent and as a raw material in the production of other chemicals, such as polyester resins, explosives, and hydraulic fluids.
Triethylene glycol (TEG)
This type of ethylene glycol is used as a solvent and as a humectant in the tobacco industry. It is also used in the production of polyester resins and other chemicals.
Polyethylene glycol (PEG)
This is a group of compounds that are made by polymerizing ethylene glycol. Polyethylene glycols are used as lubricants, surfactants, and in the production of plastics and other products.
Each type of ethylene glycol has its own unique properties and is used in specific applications based on those properties. For example, monoethylene glycol is used as an antifreeze and coolant because it has a relatively low freezing point and a high boiling point, while polyethylene glycol is used as a lubricant because it has low toxicity and good lubricating properties.
How big is the Ethylene glycol market
The global market for ethylene glycol is quite large and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. According to a market research report from Mordor Intelligence, the global ethylene glycol market was valued at around $22.7 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach a value of $34.1 billion by 2024, at a compound annual growth rate of 7.9% during that period.
Ethylene glycol is used in a wide range of industrial applications, including as an antifreeze and coolant in the automotive and aerospace industries, as a solvent in the production of plastics and other products, and as a raw material in the production of other chemicals. The demand for ethylene glycol is driven by a number of factors, including population growth, economic development, and the increasing use of plastics and other products that require ethylene glycol as a raw material.
The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for ethylene glycol, accounting for more than half of global demand. China is the largest producer and consumer of ethylene glycol, followed by the United States and Western Europe.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
According to https://oec.world/ :Ethylene glycol (ethanediol) are the world’s 436th most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.