LDPE price February 2024 and outlook (see chart below)
- North America:US$1.05/KG, unchanged
- Europe:US$1.59/KG, -0.6% down
- Africa:US$1.25/KG, unchanged
- Northeast Asia:US$1.24/KG, 0.8% up
- Southeast Asia:US$1.91/KG, 1.6% up
- South America:US$1.21/KG, unchanged
- Middle East:US$1.18/KG, -0.8% down
- India:US$1.63/KG, 4.5% up
Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
LDPE Price Index
This post is a summary of the global LDPE price developments. The price developments of global LDPE prices are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. LDPE price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for global LDPE prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of global LDPE resin prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of LDPE
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of global LDPE prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the LDPE market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the LDPE price chart
What is LDPE
LDPE, or Low-density Polyethylene, is a type of plastic made from the polymerization of ethylene. It is a thermoplastic material that is known for its high flexibility and low density, which makes it easy to process and transport. LDPE is often used in the manufacture of flexible packaging products, such as plastic bags and film wraps, as well as in the production of toys, pipes, and other household items.
LDPE is characterized by its low density and high molecular weight, which give it its unique combination of physical and mechanical properties. It is a tough, flexible material that is resistant to moisture, chemicals, and impacts. LDPE is also resistant to environmental stress cracking and is often used in applications where flexibility, toughness, and durability are required.
Overall, LDPE is a versatile and widely used material in many different industries and applications, making it an important part of the global plastics market.
How is LDPE produced
Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) is produced through a process called polymerization, which involves the combination of ethylene molecules to form long chains of polyethylene. The following steps describe the production process of LDPE:
Ethylene is produced from petroleum or natural gas and then purified and transported to the LDPE production facility.
Ethylene is polymerized in a reactor, typically using a catalyst and under high pressure and temperature. This process converts the ethylene monomers into polyethylene chains.
The resulting polyethylene chains are cooled and solidified, forming a polymer in the form of a film.
The film is then chopped into small pellets, which are cooled and transported to a storage facility.
The pellets are melted and processed in an extruder, where they are formed into a continuous film or other desired product form.
Cooling and winding
The extruded film is cooled and wound onto rolls for transportation and storage, or it is further processed into finished products.
This process is typically performed in large-scale production facilities that can produce LDPE in large quantities for use in a wide range of applications. The specific process conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and catalyst type, can be adjusted to control the properties of the final LDPE product, such as its molecular weight, density, and mechanical properties.
What is LDPE used for
Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) is a versatile and widely used plastic that has a range of applications, including:
LDPE is commonly used for packaging food and household products, as it provides a good barrier against moisture, gases, and light. It is also used to produce plastic bags, food wrap, and squeeze bottles.
LDPE is often used to produce agricultural films for crop protection, irrigation, and silage.
Electrical and Electronics
LDPE is used as an insulator in electrical and electronic applications, such as cables and wire coatings.
LDPE is used in medical devices, such as disposable gloves and tubing, due to its flexibility and chemical resistance.
LDPE is used in the production of various consumer goods, such as toys, sports equipment, and lawn and garden products.
LDPE is used in the production of industrial products, such as pipes, tanks, and corrosion-resistant linings.
LDPE is used in environmental engineering applications, such as the production of geomembranes for the containment of solid waste and water treatment.
These are just a few of the many applications of LDPE. Its versatility and ease of processing make it a popular choice for a wide range of products and industries.
What drives the cost of LDPE
The cost of Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) is influenced by a number of factors, including:
The cost of the raw materials used to produce LDPE, including ethylene, a petrochemical feedstock, can affect the price of LDPE. Fluctuations in the price of oil and natural gas, which are used to produce ethylene, can have a significant impact on the cost of LDPE.
Supply and Demand
The balance between supply and demand for LDPE can also influence its price. If demand for LDPE is high and supplies are limited, prices may increase. Conversely, if supplies are plentiful and demand is low, prices may decrease.
The cost of producing LDPE, including energy costs, labor costs, and capital costs, can also impact its price. Factors such as the efficiency of production processes and technological advancements can influence production costs.
The level of competition in the LDPE market can also affect its price. If there is intense competition among producers, prices may be driven down to remain competitive.
Government regulations, such as taxes, duties, and environmental regulations, can also impact the cost of LDPE. For example, regulations on the production and disposal of plastics can affect the cost of LDPE production and disposal.
The global economy can also have an impact on the cost of LDPE. Economic events, such as recessions or inflation, can influence the demand for and supply of LDPE, which can affect its price.
These are some of the key factors that drive the cost of LDPE. It is important to note that the relative importance of these factors may vary depending on the specific market conditions.
What are key properties of LDPE
Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) is a thermoplastic polymer that has several key properties, including:
As its name suggests, LDPE has a lower density compared to other types of polyethylene, which makes it lightweight and flexible.
LDPE is resistant to many chemicals and solvents, making it ideal for packaging applications where it may come into contact with chemical products.
LDPE has good flexibility and toughness, making it suitable for applications that require a material that can bend or flex without breaking.
LDPE has good electrical insulation properties, making it useful in the electrical and electronics industries.
LDPE has a low permeability to water and moisture, which makes it an effective barrier for packaging applications.
Low Temperature Performance
LDPE remains flexible at low temperatures, which makes it suitable for applications in cold environments.
LDPE is easy to process and fabricate, which makes it a popular choice for a wide range of applications.
LDPE is widely recyclable, which makes it an environmentally friendly choice for applications where sustainability is important.
How big is the global LDPE market
The global Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) market size was valued at approximately USD 33.5 billion in 2020, and it is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 4% during the forecast period from 2021 to 2028. The growth of the market is driven by factors such as increasing demand for plastic packaging in various industries, growing applications of LDPE in agriculture, and increasing demand for consumer goods made from LDPE.
The increasing use of LDPE in the packaging industry, especially for food packaging, is a key factor driving market growth. LDPE’s moisture barrier properties, flexibility, and low permeability to gases make it an ideal material for food packaging. Additionally, the growth of the agriculture industry, particularly in developing countries, is expected to increase demand for LDPE agricultural films, further driving market growth.
The growth of the consumer goods industry, especially in emerging economies, is also expected to drive market growth. The increasing use of LDPE in the production of toys, sports equipment, and household items is expected to drive demand for LDPE.
Despite its growth, the LDPE market faces challenges such as increasing regulations on plastic production and use, which may limit the use of LDPE in certain applications. However, the increasing demand for sustainable alternatives to traditional plastics is expected to create opportunities for the development of biodegradable LDPE, which could provide new growth opportunities for the market.
Overall, the global LDPE market is expected to continue to grow in the coming years, driven by increasing demand in various end-use industries.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Polyethylene are the world’s 53rd most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Where does the data come from?
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources. We have no access to primary data
- This the index trend of the price trend of the "product category" in general, and not a single specification of the product in particular
- The data is a combination of contract and spot pricing
- Our algorithms are set up to eliminate significant product mix impact on the reported price
- We combine public publications, import/export records, trading prices, company announcements, magazine articles, tweets, and other sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the our best approximation of the market trend based on our algorithm interpretation of the signals
- For most indexes we have multiple sources and we focus on using statistically-correlated sources
- As a function of our automation, it is likely that recent trends will be adjusted as we discover more information. So, for example, the price trend for February 2024 will be first calculated in February 2024 and adjusted in March, April and May 2024.
- We will update the data trend as more information becomes available, and this means that recent trends will always be adjusted as we get more data available
- The algorithm will regularly revise our understanding of market trends, and indicated market trends may change
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- Our automated software and we do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
Where does the data NOT come from?
- We do not purchase data from any other source and republish it.
- We will not purchase data from any other source and republish it
- We do not extrapolate trends, even for the forecast. We look for other market signals and leading indicators
What data should our company use?
- If you are making decisions driving significant share of profit, we always recommend that you buy data from the companies who invest in direct primary market access such as ICIS, amongst many others
- Our data, at best, represents an estimate of the market trend based on public information
- We have no direct access to the market, and we do not interview suppliers and customers
- Our automated analysis tools in the online software are set up to combine our data with other sources of data
- We do not recommend that you use our data for direct price mechanisms, as we may change and improve the data trends over time, including historical data
What does the quality indication in the main menu mean?
- Quality level A: Data is from a reliable and confirmed source
- Quality level B: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are no major statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level C: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are some statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level D: Data is from a single credible source, but we cannot verify the data
- Quality level E: Data is either:
- From a single source, which we consider reliable, but we cannot verify the data.
- From 2 or more sources which have some periods of contradicting trends.
- Quality level F: Data is from a single source which we consider indicatively correct, but the data is anecdotal and we cannot verify the data.
What are the disclaimers?
- We assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
How often do we update the data?
- We aim to update the data series on the 9th and 24th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
What are we doing to improve the data?
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods
- Pricing data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are reviewing all data sources in the first half of 2024.
- There will be continuous fine-tuning of the trend and forecast algorithm as part of that.
- The key focus in 2024 is to add many additional indexes
How can i give feedback on the data or request for new indexes
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request. You can reach us via the Contact us page