Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
MEK price index
This post is a summary of the MEK price developments. The price developments of MEK are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. MEK price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for MEK prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of MEK prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of MEK
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of MEK prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the MEK market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the MEK price index
What is MEK
MEKe, also known as methyl ethyl ketone, is an organic compound that is a colorless, flammable liquid with a sweet, fruity aroma. It is a member of the ketone family and is used as a solvent in a variety of applications, including the production of paints, adhesives, and coatings. MEK is also used as a solvent in the production of plastics, resins, and rubber, and as a chemical intermediate in the production of other chemicals. It is toxic if ingested or inhaled and can cause skin irritation. It is important to use caution when handling MEK and to follow proper safety guidelines.
How is MEK produced
MEK, or methyl ethyl ketone, is produced through the acetylation of 2-butanol, which is an alcohol. The acetylation process involves the addition of an acetyl group to the 2-butanol molecule to form MEK The reaction is typically carried out using an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid.
MEK can also be produced through the oxidation of 2-butanol, which is an alcohol. This process involves the addition of oxygen to the 2-butanol molecule to form MEK and water.
The production of MEK can produce a variety of by-products and waste materials, and it is important to properly manage these materials to minimize environmental impacts.
What is MEK used for
MEK, or methyl ethyl ketone, is a versatile solvent that is used in a variety of applications, including:
Paints and coatings
MEK is used as a solvent in the production of paints, coatings, and other products that require a thin, liquid medium to dissolve or disperse other ingredients.
MEK is used as a solvent in the production of adhesives, including contact cements, rubber cements, and other types of adhesives that require a solvent to dissolve or disperse other ingredients.
Plastics and resins
MEK is used as a solvent in the production of plastics and resins, including polycarbonate and other types of plastic resins.
MEK is used as a solvent in the production of rubber, including synthetic rubber and other types of rubber products.
MEK is also used as a chemical intermediate in the production of other chemicals, including pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and other industrial chemicals.
How big is the MEK market
The MEK market is a significant global industry, with demand driven by a variety of end-use applications. According to a report from MarketsandMarkets, the global MEK market was valued at $5.9 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $8.6 billion by 2025, at a compound annual growth rate of 7.3% during the forecast period. This growth is driven by increasing demand for MEK in the production of paints, adhesives, and coatings, as well as in the production of plastics and resins. The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for MEK, followed by North America and Europe. The market is expected to witness significant growth in the Asia-Pacific region, driven by the increasing demand for MEK in various applications.
According to https://oec.world/ :
MEK are the world’s 2330th most traded product.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.