Methyl Acrylate price May 2023 and forecast (see chart below)
- USA:US$1.66/KG, -1.2% down
- Europe:US$1.23/KG, -1.6% down
- China:US$1.8/KG, -2.2% down
- SEA:US$1.26/KG, -0.8% down
- Middle East:US$1.54/KG, -1.3% down
Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
Methyl Acrylate price index
This post is a summary of the Methyl Acrylate price index developments since 2015. The price developments are expressed as a price index in US$ prices converted at current FX rates, which are the FX rates applicable at the time the price was valid. Methyl Acrylate price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
Further information on the Methyl Acrylate price chart
What is Methyl acrylate
Methyl acrylate is an organic compound with the chemical formula CH2=CHCOOCH3. It is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor and is highly flammable. Methyl acrylate is commonly used in the production of polymers, resins, and coatings. It is also used as a starting material for the synthesis of various chemicals, such as pharmaceuticals and fragrances. Methyl acrylate can be hazardous if handled improperly, and exposure to it can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It is important to follow appropriate safety precautions when working with methyl acrylate.
How is Methyl acrylate produced
Methyl acrylate is typically produced by the esterification of acrylic acid with methanol. The reaction is typically catalyzed by an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid, and is carried out under carefully controlled conditions to optimize yield and minimize unwanted byproducts. The overall reaction can be represented as follows:
CH2=CHCOOH + CH3OH → CH2=CHCOOCH3 + H2O
In this reaction, the carboxylic acid group (-COOH) of acrylic acid reacts with the alcohol group (-OH) of methanol, resulting in the formation of an ester bond (-COO-). The resulting product is methyl acrylate, along with water as a byproduct. The reaction can be carried out using a batch reactor or a continuous flow reactor, depending on the desired scale of production. The purity and yield of the product can be improved by using high-quality starting materials and carefully controlling reaction conditions.
What is Methyl acrylate used for
Methyl acrylate is a versatile chemical used in a wide range of applications in various industries. Here are some of the common uses of methyl acrylate:
Production of polymers
Methyl acrylate is used in the production of polymers such as poly(methyl acrylate) (PMA), which is used as a substitute for polyvinyl acetate (PVA) in the production of paints, adhesives, and coatings. Methyl acrylate is also used in the production of resins such as methyl methacrylate-butadiene-styrene (MBS) and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS), which are used in the production of automotive parts, electronic components, and household appliances.
Methyl acrylate is used in the production of pressure-sensitive adhesives used in labels, tapes, and stickers.
Methyl acrylate is used as a raw material in the production of acrylic coatings, which are used in the automotive, construction, and industrial sectors.
Methyl acrylate is used in the production of acrylic fibers, which are used in the textile industry to make clothing and home furnishings.
Methyl acrylate is used as a raw material in the production of various pharmaceuticals, including antihistamines and anti-cancer drugs.
Methyl acrylate is used in the production of fragrances and flavors.
Methyl acrylate is also used in the production of plastics, rubber, and other chemicals. It is also used as a solvent and in the synthesis of various specialty chemicals.
How big is the methyl acrylate market
The global methyl acrylate market size was valued at USD 3.1 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 4.5 billion by 2028, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of approximately 4.5% during the forecast period.
The increasing demand for methyl acrylate is driven by its versatile applications in various end-use industries, such as adhesives, coatings, plastics, and textiles. Methyl acrylate is used in the production of polymers, including poly(methyl acrylate) (PMA), which is used as a substitute for polyvinyl acetate (PVA) in the production of paints, adhesives, and coatings. It is also used in the manufacture of resins, such as methyl methacrylate-butadiene-styrene (MBS) and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS), which are used in the production of automotive parts, electronic components, and household appliances.
The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for methyl acrylate, owing to the high demand from countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea, which are major producers of polymers and resins. North America and Europe are also significant markets for methyl acrylate, driven by the growing demand for adhesives and coatings in various end-use industries.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 9th and 24th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods
- Pricing data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We will improve our price trend algorithm before December 31, 2023.
- There will be continuous fine-tuning of the trend and forecast algorithm until end of December 2023.
- As part of that process, we will add many additional indexes in the final quarter of 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- We assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.