Phthalic anhydride price November 2023 and outlook (see chart below)
- North America:US$1.23/KG, 1.7% up
- Europe:US$1.19/KG, 1.7% up
- Northeast Asia:US$1.06/KG, -5.4% down
- Southeast Asia:US$0.99/KG, 1% up
- Middle East:US$1.01/KG, unchanged
Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
Phthalic anhydride price index
This post is a summary of the Phthalic anhydride price developments. The price developments of Phthalic anhydride are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Phthalic anhydride price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for Phthalic anhydride prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of Phthalic anhydride prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of Phthalic anhydride
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of Phthalic anhydride prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the Phthalic anhydride market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Phthalic anhydride price index
What is Phthalic anhydride
Phthalic anhydride is an organic compound with the chemical formula C8H4O3. It is a white, crystalline solid that is highly reactive and forms easily when heated. Phthalic anhydride is an important industrial chemical and is used as a starting material in the production of a variety of chemicals and polymers.
One of the main uses of phthalic anhydride is in the production of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a plastic that is used in a wide range of applications, including pipes, flooring, and window frames. Phthalic anhydride is also used in the production of alkyd resins, which are used to make paints, varnishes, and coatings. Other uses of phthalic anhydride include the production of plasticizers, which are used to make plastics more flexible, and the production of dyes and fragrances.
Phthalic anhydride is produced by the oxidation of naphthalene or xylene. It is a hazardous chemical and can be harmful if inhaled or ingested. It is also a skin irritant and can cause eye irritation.
How is Phthalic anhydride produced
Phthalic anhydride is produced by the oxidation of naphthalene or xylene. The most common method for producing phthalic anhydride involves the air oxidation of naphthalene. In this process, naphthalene is heated to a high temperature in the presence of air, which causes it to oxidize to form phthalic anhydride. This reaction is typically carried out in a reactor that is heated by a flame or an electric heating element.
Another method for producing phthalic anhydride involves the oxidation of xylene. In this process, xylene is heated to a high temperature in the presence of oxygen and a catalyst, such as manganese dioxide. The reaction between xylene and oxygen produces phthalic anhydride and water.
Phthalic anhydride is also produced as a byproduct of the production of maleic anhydride, another organic compound. It is possible to convert maleic anhydride to phthalic anhydride by heating it to a high temperature in the presence of oxygen.
It is worth noting that the production of phthalic anhydride can have negative environmental impacts, as it can release pollutants into the air and water. Therefore, it is important to properly control and treat emissions from phthalic anhydride production facilities to minimize these impacts.
What is Phthalic anhydride used for
Phthalic anhydride is a highly reactive chemical that is used as a starting material in the production of a variety of chemicals and polymers. Some of the main uses of phthalic anhydride include:
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) production
Phthalic anhydride is used as a starting material in the production of PVC, a plastic that is used in a wide range of applications, including pipes, flooring, and window frames.
Alkyd resin production
Phthalic anhydride is used in the production of alkyd resins, which are used to make paints, varnishes, and coatings.
Phthalic anhydride is used in the production of plasticizers, which are used to make plastics more flexible.
Dye and fragrance production
Phthalic anhydride is used in the production of dyes and fragrances.
Phthalic anhydride is also used in the production of other chemicals, including phthalate esters, which are used as plasticizers and solvents, and isophthalic acid, which is used in the production of resins and fibers.
How big is the Phthalic anhydride market
It is difficult to determine the size of the global phthalic anhydride market, as data on the production and consumption of this chemical is not widely available. Phthalic anhydride is a specialty chemical, and it is not produced or consumed in large quantities compared to some other chemicals.
In the United States, the production of phthalic anhydride was estimated to be around 600 million pounds per year in the early 2000s, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). However, it is worth noting that this figure may not be representative of the global market for phthalic anhydride.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Phthalic anhydride are the world’s 2451st most traded product.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Where does the data come from?
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- This the index trend of the price trend of the "product category" in general, and not a single specification of the product in particular
- The data is a combination of contract and spot pricing
- Our algorithms are set up to eliminate significant product mix impact on the reported price
- We combine public publications, import/export records, trading prices, company announcements, magazine articles, tweets, and other sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the our best approximation of the market trend based on our algorithm interpretation of the signals
- For most indexes we have multiple sources and we focus on using statistically-correlated sources
- We will update the data trend as more information becomes available, and this means that recent trends will always be adjusted as we get more data available
- We will constantly revise our understanding of market trends, and indicated market trends may change
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
Where does the data NOT come from?
- We do not purchase data from any other source and republish it.
- We will not purchase data from any other source and republish it
- We do not extrapolate trends, even for the forecast. We look for other market signals and leading indicators
What does the quality indication in the main menu mean?
- Quality level A: Data is from a reliable and confirmed source
- Quality level B: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are no major statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level C: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are some statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level D: Data is from a single credible source, but we cannot verify the data
- Quality level E: Data is either:
- From a single source, which we consider reliable, but we cannot verify the data.
- From 2 or more sources which have some periods of contradicting trends.
- Quality level F: Data is from a single source which we consider indicatively correct, but the data is anecdotal and we cannot verify the data.
What does the data intend to show?
- The price trend we show is intended to represent the locally manufactured prices, or local FOB prices.
- It is possible that product is imported in from other countries at a lower, or higher, price than shown.
- For example:
- The USA price for TiO2 is US$3,000/MT
- The China price for TiO2 is US$2,100/MT
- If a USA company buys TiO2 from China, their CIF price may be US$2,350/MT
- Our reporting is intended to show the US$3,000/MT, and the the US$2,100/MT but not the US$2,350/MT
What data should our company use?
- If you are making decisions driving significant share of profit, we always recommend that you buy data from the companies who invest in direct market access such as ICIS, amongst many others
- Our data, at best, represents an estimate of the market trend based on public information
- We have no direct access to the market, and we do not interview suppliers and customers
- Our analysis tools in the online software are set up to combine our data with other sources of data
What are the disclaimers?
- We assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
How often do we update the data?
- We aim to update the data series on the 9th and 24th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
What are we doing to improve the data?
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods
- Pricing data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We will improve our price trend algorithm before December 31, 2023.
- There will be continuous fine-tuning of the trend and forecast algorithm until end of December 2023.
- As part of that process, we will add many additional indexes in the final quarter of 2023
How can i give feedback on the data or request for new indexes
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request. You can reach us via the Contact us page
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.