Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, warranties of merchantability, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, usefulness or timeliness. None of the authors and contributors, or anyone else connected with Business Analytiq, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.
Propylene glycol price index
This post is a summary of the propylene glycol price developments. The price developments of propylene glycol (propane-1,2-diol) are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Propylene glycol price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for propylene glycol prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of propylene glycol prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of propylene glycol
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of propylene glycol prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the propylene glycol market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on propylene glycol price index
What is Propylene glycol
Propylene glycol is a clear, colorless, and virtually odorless liquid that is used in a variety of applications, including as a food additive, a solvent, and a moisturizing agent. It is a type of alcohol that is derived from propylene, a chemical intermediate that is made from fossil fuels, such as natural gas or crude oil.
How is Propylene glycol produced
Propylene glycol is produced through a chemical process that involves the hydration of propylene, which is a chemical intermediate made from fossil fuels, such as natural gas or crude oil. The process of producing propylene glycol typically involves the following steps:
First, Propylene is first obtained through the cracking of natural gas or petroleum. This involves breaking down larger hydrocarbons into smaller molecules through the use of heat and pressure.
Second, the propylene is then subjected to a hydration reaction, in which it is combined with water and an acid catalyst to produce propylene glycol. This reaction is typically carried out at high temperatures and pressures.
Third, the propylene glycol is then purified through a series of distillation and filtration steps to remove any impurities or unwanted by-products.
Finally the purified propylene glycol is then cooled and stored for use in a variety of applications, including as a food additive, a solvent, and a moisturizing agent.
Propylene glycol is also produced through a process called petrochemical synthesis, in which it is synthesized from petrochemicals, such as ethylene oxide and propylene oxide. This process involves the use of chemical catalysts and high temperatures to convert the petrochemicals into propylene glycol.
What is Propylene glycol used for
Propylene glycol is commonly used as a food additive to help retain moisture and improve the texture of certain products, such as baked goods, frosting, and ice cream. It is also used as a solvent in the pharmaceutical and personal care industries to dissolve and disperse active ingredients in medications and personal care products.
In addition to its use in food and personal care products, propylene glycol is also used in a variety of other applications, including as an antifreeze in automobiles, as a humectant in tobacco products, and as a moisturizing agent in cosmetics. It is also used in the production of plastics, resins, and other industrial products.
Although propylene glycol is generally considered safe for use in food and personal care products, it can cause skin irritation in some individuals and may be toxic if ingested in large amounts. As with any chemical, it is important to follow the instructions on the label and use caution when handling propylene glycol.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
Propylene glycol market size
The global propylene glycol market is a large and growing industry, with demand driven by a variety of factors, including the increasing use of propylene glycol in food and personal care products, the growing demand for propylene glycol in the automotive and aerospace industries, and the increasing use of propylene glycol as a solvent in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
According to data from Mordor Intelligence, the global propylene glycol market was valued at approximately $5.5 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 4.5% between 2021 and 2026. The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for propylene glycol, accounting for more than half of the global demand, followed by North America and Europe.
The growth of the propylene glycol market is driven by a number of factors, including the increasing demand for propylene glycol in food and personal care products, the growing demand for propylene glycol in the automotive and aerospace industries, and the increasing use of propylene glycol as a solvent in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries. The market is also being driven by the increasing use of propylene glycol in the production of resins, plastics, and other industrial products.
According to https://oec.world/ : In 2020, the top exporters of Propylene glycol (propane-1,2-diol) were Germany ($302M), China ($140M), United States ($138M), South Korea ($130M), and Thailand ($116M).
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.