Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
Sodium dichromate price index
This post is a summary of the sodium dichromate price developments. The price developments of sodium dichromate are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Sodium dichromate price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for sodium dichromate prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of sodium dichromate prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of sodium dichromate
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of sodium dichromate prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the sodium dichromate market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Sodium dichromate price index
Here is some further information
What is sodium dichromate
Sodium dichromate is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula Na2Cr2O7. It is a bright orange-red crystalline solid that is highly soluble in water. It is an oxidizing agent and is often used as a laboratory reagent, as a chromium(VI) compound, and as a drying agent for paints and inks. It can also be used in the production of other chromium compounds, such as chromium(III) oxide, and as a catalyst in various chemical reactions.
Sodium dichromate is highly toxic and can cause irritation or burns to the skin and eyes, and inhaling the dust can cause respiratory problems. It should be handled with caution and protective measures should be taken when working with it.
How is sodium dichromate produced
Sodium dichromate is produced by the electrolysis of a solution of sodium chromate, which is itself produced by the dissolution of chromite ore in a solution of sodium hydroxide. The electrolysis process involves passing an electric current through the solution, which causes the sodium chromate to be oxidized to sodium dichromate.
The general process for producing sodium dichromate is as follows:
Chromite ore is mined and crushed to a fine powder.
The ore is then mixed with a solution of sodium hydroxide, which dissolves the chromium in the ore and forms a solution of sodium chromate.
The solution is filtered to remove impurities and then electrolysed using a diaphragm cell or a mercury cell.
During electrolysis, the sodium chromate is oxidized to sodium dichromate, while the hydrogen gas is produced at the cathode.
The sodium dichromate is then purified by crystallization and dried to form the final product.
Overall, the production of sodium dichromate involves several chemical reactions and requires specialized equipment and conditions. It is typically carried out on an industrial scale in order to meet the demand for the chemical.
What is sodium dichromate used for
Sodium dichromate is a highly versatile chemical that has a wide range of applications. Some of the main uses of sodium dichromate include:
As a laboratory reagent
Sodium dichromate is commonly used in chemical laboratories as a reagent in various types of reactions. It is particularly useful as an oxidizing agent, and is often used in the preparation of other chemicals, such as chromium(III) oxide.
As a chromium(VI) compound
Sodium dichromate is a source of chromium(VI) ions, which are highly reactive and can be used in a variety of chemical reactions. It is often used as a catalyst in the production of chemicals such as plastics, dyes, and pigments.
As a drying agent
Sodium dichromate is used as a drying agent in the production of paints, inks, and other coatings. It helps to remove water and other impurities from the mixture, which improves the final product’s stability and quality.
In water treatment
Sodium dichromate is used to remove iron and manganese from water, as well as to disinfect and purify water supplies.
In the leather industry
Sodium dichromate is used in the tanning process for leather. It helps to remove excess fat and protein from the skin, and also serves as a preservative to prevent the leather from deteriorating.
In the production of other chemicals
Sodium dichromate is used as a catalyst in the production of other chemicals, such as sodium chromate and sodium bichromate. These chemicals are used in a variety of applications, including the production of dyes, pigments, and ceramics.
Overall, sodium dichromate is an important chemical that has a wide range of applications in various industries. However, it is also highly toxic and should be handled with caution to avoid potential health risks.
Market size information
It is difficult to determine the size of the global sodium dichromate market with precision because data on the production and consumption of the chemical is not readily available. However, sodium dichromate is a widely used chemical that has a variety of applications in various industries, including the leather, water treatment, and chemical manufacturing industries. As such, it is likely that the global market for sodium dichromate is significant.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Sodium dichromate are the world’s 3948th most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.