Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
Terephthalic acid (TPA) price index
This post is a summary of the Terephthalic acid price developments. The price developments of Terephthalic acid (TPA)are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Terephthalic acid price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for Terephthalic acid prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of Terephthalic acid prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of Terephthalic acid
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of TPA prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the Terephthalic acid market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the Terephthalic acid price index
What is Terephthalic acid (TPA)
Terephthalic acid, also known as 1,4-benzenedicarboxylic acid, is a white, crystalline solid that is used in the production of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a common polymer used in the manufacture of plastic bottles, textiles, and other products. Terephthalic acid is produced by the catalytic oxidation of p-xylene, a byproduct of the petroleum refining process. It is also used as a starting material in the production of other chemicals, such as resins and dyes. Terephthalic acid is a strong acid, with a pKa of 1.88, and it is soluble in water and many organic solvents. It is classified as a hazardous chemical and should be handled with caution.
How is Terephthalic acid produced
Terephthalic acid is produced by the catalytic oxidation of p-xylene, which is a byproduct of the petroleum refining process. The most common method of producing terephthalic acid is through the air oxidation of p-xylene, which involves the use of a cobalt or manganese-based catalyst. The reaction is typically carried out in a fixed-bed reactor at high temperatures and pressures, and the terephthalic acid is then purified and recovered through a series of distillation and crystallization steps.
Other methods of producing terephthalic acid include the use of zeolites as catalysts, as well as the use of enzymes or microorganisms to carry out the oxidation reaction. In recent years, research has been ongoing to develop more environmentally friendly and sustainable methods for the production of terephthalic acid and other chemicals.
What is Terephthalic acid used for
Terephthalic acid is primarily used in the production of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a common polymer that is used in the manufacture of plastic bottles, textiles, and other products. PET is a strong, lightweight material that is resistant to moisture, chemicals, and UV light, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of applications.
In addition to its use in the production of PET, terephthalic acid is also used as a starting material in the production of other chemicals, such as resins, dyes, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the production of certain types of plastics, such as polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) and polyethylene naphthalate (PEN), which are used in applications such as automotive parts, electrical components, and sporting goods. Terephthalic acid is also used in the production of coatings, adhesives, and other industrial products.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
Terephthalic acid market information
The global market for terephthalic acid is large and growing, driven by increasing demand for PET and other products made from terephthalic acid-based polymers. According to data from industry research firm Grand View Research, the global terephthalic acid market was valued at around $14.5 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach a value of $20.7 billion by 2027, at a compound annual growth rate of 5.3% over the forecast period.
The Asia Pacific region is the largest market for terephthalic acid, accounting for more than half of global demand. China is the largest market in the region and is also the world’s largest producer of terephthalic acid. Other major markets for terephthalic acid include Europe, North America, and the Middle East and Africa.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Terephthalic acid, its salts are the world’s 706th most traded product.
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 11th and 25th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods and data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are working hard to upgrade the algorithm before April 1, 2023 and a further fine-tune by July 1, 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- Although we believe the price trend to be accurate, we assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- We are working on 500 additional indexes which will be released over time when we are content that it is accurate.
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.