Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, or timeliness.
tert-Butyl alcohol price index
This post is a summary of the tert-Butyl alcohol developments since 2017. The price developments are expressed as a price index in US$ prices converted at current FX rates, which are the FX rates applicable at the time the price was valid. tert-Butyl alcohol price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
Further information on the tert-Butyl alcohol price chart
What is tert-butyl alcohol
Tert-butanol (also known as tert-butyl alcohol or 2-methyl-2-propanol) is a type of alcohol with the molecular formula (CH3)3COH. It has a branched molecular structure, with a tertiary carbon atom and a hydroxyl (-OH) group attached to it. This makes it a tertiary alcohol.
Tert-butanol is a colorless, flammable liquid that is soluble in water and many organic solvents. It has a characteristic sweet odor and is commonly used as a solvent, reagent, and intermediate in chemical synthesis. It is also used in the production of fuels, pharmaceuticals, and fragrances.
Tert-butanol is considered a hazardous material due to its flammability and potential health effects if not handled properly. It should be stored and handled with appropriate precautions in a well-ventilated area away from sources of ignition.
How is tert-butyl alcohol produced
Tert-butyl alcohol (TBA) is typically produced by the hydration of isobutene, which is a byproduct of petroleum refining or derived from renewable sources such as bio-based butanol. The process involves the following steps:
Isobutene is first mixed with a dilute sulfuric acid solution, which acts as a catalyst in the hydration reaction.
The mixture is then fed into a reactor vessel, where it is heated under controlled conditions to promote the reaction between isobutene and water. This results in the formation of tert-butyl alcohol and some amount of di-tert-butyl ether (DTBE), which is a byproduct.
The reaction mixture is then cooled and the TBA is separated from the DTBE and other impurities using various separation techniques, such as distillation and extraction.
The TBA is then purified further by distillation and other methods to remove any remaining impurities.
Overall, the production of TBA is a well-established and efficient process that is carried out on a large scale by various chemical companies and manufacturers worldwide. However, as with all chemical processes, appropriate safety measures should be taken during the production, handling, and use of TBA to ensure the safety of workers and the environment.
What is tert-butyl alcohol used for
Tert-butanol (also known as tert-butyl alcohol or TBA) is used for various purposes in different industries. Some common uses of tert-butanol include:
Tert-butanol is a versatile solvent that is used in various industrial applications, such as in the production of lacquers, varnishes, and coatings. It is also used as a solvent in the manufacture of synthetic resins, waxes, and oils.
Tert-butanol is used as an intermediate in the production of various chemicals, such as tert-butyl chloride, tert-butyl acetate, and tert-butylamine. It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and fragrances.
Tert-butanol can be used as a fuel additive to increase the octane rating of gasoline, which can improve engine performance and reduce emissions.
Tert-butanol is commonly used as a laboratory reagent for various analytical and synthetic purposes.
What types of tert-butyl alcohol are there
Tert-butyl alcohol (TBA) is a specific chemical compound with the molecular formula (CH3)3COH. It is a tertiary alcohol, meaning that the hydroxyl (-OH) group is attached to a tertiary carbon atom.
There are no other types of TBA, but there are some related compounds that have similar structures or properties. For example, isobutyl alcohol (also known as 2-methyl-1-propanol) is an alcohol with the same molecular formula as TBA but with a different molecular structure, as the hydroxyl group is attached to a secondary carbon atom instead of a tertiary carbon atom.
Additionally, there are various isomers of butanol, which are alcohols with the same number of carbon atoms as TBA but with different molecular structures. These include n-butanol, sec-butanol, and isobutanol. Isobutanol is similar to TBA in that it has a branched molecular structure, but it has a primary alcohol group (-OH) attached to a secondary carbon atom, whereas TBA has a tertiary alcohol group.
It is important to note that different isomers of alcohols can have different properties and reactivities, and they may be used for different applications in various industries.
What countries produce the most tert-butyl alcohol
TBA is produced by various chemical companies and manufacturers worldwide, and some of the major producers include companies based in the United States, China, Japan, and Europe.
How big is the global tert-butyl alcohol market
Butanols nes are the world’s 3012th most traded product.
In 2020, the top exporters of Butanols nes were Malaysia ($64.6M), Saudi Arabia ($58.9M), Germany ($33.2M), United States ($30.2M), and United Kingdom ($21.6M).
In 2020, the top importers of Butanols nes were China ($70.2M), South Korea ($67.7M), India ($32.9M), Belgium ($30.1M), and Italy ($20.7M).
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Notes on the price-data
- We aim to update the data series on the 9th and 24th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods
- Pricing data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We will improve our price trend algorithm before December 31, 2023.
- There will be continuous fine-tuning of the trend and forecast algorithm until end of December 2023.
- As part of that process, we will add many additional indexes in the final quarter of 2023
- This the index trend of the price of the product group in general and not a single specification in particular
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources
- We combine public publications, import/export records, company announcements, and sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the price trend, nearly always taken from many statistically-correlated sources
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- We do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
- We assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request.
- The service is funding by advertising, so our apologies for the distraction of the advertisements.