ABS price February 2024 and outlook (see chart below)
- North America:US$1.79/KG, -1.1% down
- Europe:US$1.65/KG, -1.8% down
- Northeast Asia:US$1.45/KG, unchanged
- Southeast Asia:US$1.45/KG, -2% down
- Middle East:US$1.37/KG, -2.1% down
- India:US$1.51/KG, unchanged
Business Analytiq assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in this site is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) price index
This post is a summary of the global acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymers price developments. The price developments of global acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymers are expressed in US$ prices converted FX rates applicable at the time when the price was valid. Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymers price index developments are calculated from multiple separate sources of data to ensure statistical accuracy.
The outlook for global acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymers prices, on the second tab, is generated from different inputs including:
- Very recent price developments of immediate cost drivers of global acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene resin prices
- Recent price developments of underlying feedstocks which drive the price of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene copolymers
- Market futures for both cost drives and feedstocks of global acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) resin prices
- Adjustment of current supply/demand imbalances in the acrylonitrile butadiene styrene ABS resin market
- Longer term trends in likely demand conditions
Further information on the ABS price chart
Here is some further information
What is ABS
ABS, or acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene, is a type of plastic that is made from three monomers: acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. It is a strong, lightweight material that is known for its good impact resistance and toughness, as well as its good resistance to chemicals and heat.
How is ABS produced
ABS, or acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene, is a type of plastic that is made from three monomers: acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. The production of ABS involves a number of steps, including:
The first step in the production of ABS is the production of the monomers, which are acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. These monomers are typically produced through the petrochemical industry.
The monomers are then mixed together and polymerized to form the polymer chain. The polymerization process can be initiated through a number of methods, including heat, light, or the use of catalysts.
Mixing and compounding
The polymer is then mixed with various additives and fillers to improve its properties, such as its strength, flexibility, or resistance to wear and tear. This process is known as compounding.
The compounded ABS resin is then molded into the desired shape using a variety of molding processes, such as injection molding, blow molding, or extrusion molding.
It is important to note that the exact process used to manufacture ABS may vary depending on the specific application and desired properties of the final product.
What are the key cost drivers of ABS
ABS, or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, is a type of plastic used in a variety of applications, including the automotive industry. Some of the key cost drivers of ABS may include:
Raw material prices
ABS production typically requires a significant amount of energy, so changes in energy prices can also affect the cost of ABS.
The cost of transporting ABS from the point of production to the point of use can also contribute to its overall cost.
Taxes and duties
ABS may be subject to various taxes and duties, which can also impact its cost.
Currency exchange rates
If ABS is traded internationally, changes in currency exchange rates can affect its price.
What is ABS used for
ABS is used in a wide range of applications, including:
ABS is used in the production of automotive parts, such as bumper covers, dashboard components, and trim pieces, due to its good impact resistance and toughness.
ABS is used to make a variety of consumer products, including toys, appliances, and sporting goods, due to its good impact resistance and toughness.
ABS is used in the production of industrial products, such as pipes, tanks, and valves, due to its good resistance to chemicals and heat.
ABS is also used in the production of furniture, medical devices, and electronic components, as well as in 3D printing.
It is important to note that ABS is not suitable for use in applications where it will come into contact with UV light, as it can become brittle and break down over time. It is also not compatible with some chemicals, such as strong acids and bases.
What types of ABS are there
There are several types of ABS, each with its own unique properties and applications. Here are a few examples:
This is the most common type of ABS and is known for its toughness, rigidity, and good impact resistance. It is used in a variety of applications, including automotive parts, electronic housings, and toys.
This type of ABS is designed to have improved impact strength and is used in applications where parts are subjected to high levels of stress. It is commonly used in automotive bumpers and other vehicle components.
This type of ABS is formulated with flame-retardant additives and is used in applications where flame resistance is important, such as in electronic housings and electrical appliances.
This type of ABS is formulated with conductive additives and is used in applications where electrical conductivity is required, such as in electronic components and RFID tags.
This type of ABS is formulated with UV-resistant additives and is used in outdoor applications where the material will be exposed to UV radiation, such as in automotive exterior parts and outdoor signage.
This type of ABS is formulated to maintain its properties at low temperatures and is used in applications where the material may be subjected to cold temperatures, such as in automotive exterior parts and appliances.
Market and trade information of ABS
The global ABS market is a large market for the production and sale of ABS and ABS-based products.
According to a report by Mordor Intelligence, the global ABS market is expected to reach a value of $21.5 billion by 2024, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 5.7% from 2019 to 2024. This growth is driven by increasing demand for ABS in various industries, including automotive, construction, and consumer goods. The report also notes that the Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the global ABS market, due to the increasing demand for ABS in the region and the availability of low-cost feedstock.
According to https://oec.world/ :
Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) copolymers are the world’s 455th most traded product.
Which countries produce the most ABS
ABS is produced all around the world, with large production centers in a number of different countries. According to data from the International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA), the top global producers of ABS in 2020 were:
China is the largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 3 million metric tons per year.
South Korea is the second-largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 1.8 million metric tons per year.
Taiwan is the third-largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 1.5 million metric tons per year.
Japan is the fourth-largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 1.2 million metric tons per year.
Germany is the fifth-largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 0.8 million metric tons per year.
The United States is the sixth-largest producer of ABS, with a production capacity of around 0.7 million metric tons per year.
It’s worth noting that these figures are for global production capacity, not necessarily for actual production. Actual production levels may differ from capacity due to various factors, such as demand, raw material availability, and economic conditions.
- Wikipedia for general, history, production and usage information
- PubChem for chemistry and property information
- Market report (summary info only)
BE THE FIRST TO SEE RISK AND OPPORTUNITY!
BusinessAnalytiq provides unlimited market trend data and an online tools to track market developments, key benchmarks & leading indicators.
BusinessAnalytiq leads to price visibility, better negotiations, easier budgeting and forecasting, lower raw material prices, and improved better internal and external communication. BusinessAnalytiq will decrease risk and higher profit.
Where does the data come from?
- The source of the data are exclusively public non-confidential sources. We have no access to primary data
- This the index trend of the price trend of the "product category" in general, and not a single specification of the product in particular
- The data is a combination of contract and spot pricing
- Our algorithms are set up to eliminate significant product mix impact on the reported price
- We combine public publications, import/export records, trading prices, company announcements, magazine articles, tweets, and other sources of ad-hoc public information.
- The chart shows the our best approximation of the market trend based on our algorithm interpretation of the signals
- For most indexes we have multiple sources and we focus on using statistically-correlated sources
- As a function of our automation, it is likely that recent trends will be adjusted as we discover more information. So, for example, the price trend for February 2024 will be first calculated in February 2024 and adjusted in March, April and May 2024.
- We will update the data trend as more information becomes available, and this means that recent trends will always be adjusted as we get more data available
- The algorithm will regularly revise our understanding of market trends, and indicated market trends may change
- The data is presented in US$. The UOM of measure is shown in the Index list table
- Our automated software and we do our best to create an accurate representation of the trend
Where does the data NOT come from?
- We do not purchase data from any other source and republish it.
- We will not purchase data from any other source and republish it
- We do not extrapolate trends, even for the forecast. We look for other market signals and leading indicators
What data should our company use?
- If you are making decisions driving significant share of profit, we always recommend that you buy data from the companies who invest in direct primary market access such as ICIS, amongst many others
- Our data, at best, represents an estimate of the market trend based on public information
- We have no direct access to the market, and we do not interview suppliers and customers
- Our automated analysis tools in the online software are set up to combine our data with other sources of data
- We do not recommend that you use our data for direct price mechanisms, as we may change and improve the data trends over time, including historical data
What does the quality indication in the main menu mean?
- Quality level A: Data is from a reliable and confirmed source
- Quality level B: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are no major statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level C: Data is from multiple credible sources and there are some statistical inconsistencies between them
- Quality level D: Data is from a single credible source, but we cannot verify the data
- Quality level E: Data is either:
- From a single source, which we consider reliable, but we cannot verify the data.
- From 2 or more sources which have some periods of contradicting trends.
- Quality level F: Data is from a single source which we consider indicatively correct, but the data is anecdotal and we cannot verify the data.
What are the disclaimers?
- We assume no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site.
- The information is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, usefulness, fitness for purpose or timeliness.
- By their nature, outlooks are always uncertain
How often do we update the data?
- We aim to update the data series on the 9th and 24th of each month (but we do not always make it for each chart)
- The data for the current month and recent history are fine-tuned over time.
What are we doing to improve the data?
- We are continually improving our data collection and processing methods
- Pricing data will be updated from time to time as we improve the accuracy
- We are reviewing all data sources in the first half of 2024.
- There will be continuous fine-tuning of the trend and forecast algorithm as part of that.
- The key focus in 2024 is to add many additional indexes
How can i give feedback on the data or request for new indexes
- Feel free to contact us if you have a specific request. You can reach us via the Contact us page